St. Louis, Mo. (Sept. 12, 2021) — East Coast-area shoppers seeking sustainably-produced, healthier beverage options have something to celebrate: Karuna’s plant-based prebiotic and antioxidant drinks are now available at more than 100 Giant Food stores across Virginia, Maryland, Delaware and the District of Columbia.
Inspired by the ancient wisdom of Eastern Medicine and backed by modern science, Karuna’s delicious wellness beverages deliver health-promoting benefits meant to aid digestive health, enhance immunity and provide sustained energy.
“Karuna was founded on a desire to guide people on a path to wellness,” says Angela Zeng, PhD, Karuna creator. “One small step in that path is choosing foods and beverages with scientifically proven functional ingredients. We carefully select, source and blend whole-plant ingredients to create superfood drinks that are low in calories, contain no added fillers, sugar or preservatives and are minimally processed in a socially-responsible manner.”
Three whole plant juices are available in the Natural / Organic refrigerated juice section of Giant Food stores including:
- Viva is a delicious blend of heart healthy Aronia berries, pomegranate and beets and made with the botanical Ashitaba, which is celebrated in Eastern Medicine as a source of vital nutrients essential to promoting well-being and slowing down the aging process.
- Rejuvenate contains organic goji berries and red dates, which have been used in traditional Chinese medicine to promote energy, endurance, restful sleep, and healthy skin and hair. One 12oz bottle is only 45 calories and contains no added sugar.
- Joy-D showcases Karuna’s innovative craftsmanship via a tantalizing nectar of mandarin orange and kiwi fruit infusion, carefully blended with naturally ripe peaches and high vitamin D mushrooms for a perfect taste.
Karuna directly translates to compassion in Buddhism, and out of respect for mind, body and earth, that means making health and wellness more sustainable, accessible and convenient:
- Each Karuna drink is sustainably produced in their facility in St. Louis – which houses an on-site hydroponic garden for fresh bean sprouts – with thoughtfully sourced efficacious, Non-GMO and organic ingredients;
- Single serving portable bottles are ideal in today’s fast-paced world. Karuna drinks are packaged in lightweight, easy to carry and BPA free, recyclable plastic for ease and convenience;
- Karuna uses real whole fruits, with all edible parts included to maximize the prebiotics, antioxidants and anti-microbial compounds that naturally exist in the fruit skins, therefore minimizing food waste.
- Karuna is committed to freshness, transparency and using clean ingredients; their eye-catching label features mouthwatering whole fruits and plants so Karuna consumers can feel confident they are enjoying premium functional ingredients in every sip.
Karuna products launched in early 2017, earning strong praise from the industry and customers alike and quickly gaining notice through a variety of accolades within the food and beverage industry. To date, Karuna has been recognized by the 2018 World Beverage Innovation Awards Best Juices, 2020 World Plant Based Products Awards Best Functional Products, New Hope 2020 ExpoWest NEXTY Finalist and most recently, the 2021 Mindful Awards for Juice Product of the Year.
Based in St. Louis, Missouri, Karuna – which means compassion in Buddhism – is an award-winning innovator in developing great tasting functional juices and smoothies using whole plant ingredients. Formulated from a belief that Food Is Better Medicine™, each unique beverage is inspired by ancient wisdom and backed by modern science. Karuna wellness beverages offer a vast array of product benefits ranging from restoration of digestive and immune health with prebiotics and antioxidants to delivering clean protein and providing sustained energy. Please visit Karuna Prebiotic Superfood Beverages (mykaruna.com) for more information.
Natalie@thinkingoctopus.com or Angela@mykaruna.com
About Giant Food:
This year, Giant Food is celebrating 85 years as a community grocery store. Since opening its first location on Georgia Ave. in Washington, DC in 1936, Giant has been an integral part of our customers’ lives and the communities it serves. Giant is committed to being a Better Neighbor and has designated four main giving pillars that address local Food Insecurity, Military Support, Pediatric Cancer Research, and Social Equality. Giant is headquartered in Landover, Md. and operates 164 supermarkets in Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, and the District of Columbia with approximately 20,000 associates. Included within the 164 stores are 152 full-service pharmacies, 82 full-service PNC Banks and 24 Starbucks locations. Giant fits all the ways today’s busy customers want to shop – whether in store or online. With 147 Giant Pickup locations and Giant Delivery available to all our market areas in DC, MD, VA and DE, customers have even more convenient options right at their fingertips to get the best product and prices, whenever and however they want it. For more information on Giant, visit: www.giantfood.com.